A warehouse has so many moving parts and people. With so much going on at any given time, accidents are bound to happen. That’s why it’s so important to maintain proper safety standards as part of the everyday routine of each and every employee. As a business owner, you care about the safety and well-being of your employees and you never want to see them injured. That’s why our team at Hearn Construction, Inc. has listed a few simple steps to improve working conditions and increase safety in your warehouse.
Common Workplace Injuries
The first step toward increasing warehouse safety is understanding common workplace injuries and what’s causing them. Heavy equipment such as forklifts and heavy pallets are the leading cause of injuries, and sometimes even fatalities, in the warehouse. Next, warehouse injuries can be caused by slips, trips, and falls because of slippery or uneven floors. Finally, there is always a high risk of stacked items falling from the shelves at any point in time.
Another aspect of working in a warehouse is a constant change in workforce. Because of a high turnover rate of warehouse employees, it is vital that warehouse operators educate everyone on warehouse safety on an ongoing basis. They should also provide continual instruction, training, and updates to keep workers up to speed with timely and relevant warehouse safety procedures.
Warehouse Safety Tips
Finally, here is a quick list of things to install or implement to ensure the safety of your warehouse employees.
- Install guardrails and handrails for workers in elevated sections of the warehouse
- Install and maintain catwalks, ladders, and crossovers
- Make sure workers know where safety shut-offs are located
- Close areas where spills have occurred, and clean up spills immediately to avoid slips and trips
- Install stainless steel drains in the warehouse floor to eliminate sanitation problems
- Provide workers with appropriate protective equipment
- Teach proper lifting techniques — whether it’s with manual handling or with a lift truck
- Keep the first aid kits stocked and accessible
- Provide plenty of signage showing locations of emergency exits
At Hearn Construction, we’ve completed countless warehouse renovations across north central Indiana. So whether you need to remodel your whole warehouse, your shipping and receiving area, or just need a few more safety measures installed, we’ve got you covered. Contact us today at (765) 452-2669.